FITNESS FEVER - FITNESS ARTICLES
Deciding on a Fitness Center: Tips for Choosing
Joining one of the many fitness centers in your area can have a lot of benefits, but can also be a big expense. Since most centers ask you to sign contracts that can be difficult to cancel, make sure that joining a fitness center is for you and that you are happy with the one you choose, before signing on the dotted line.
Deciding on your Needs
Since you are reading this I guess you would be more interested in weight training than aerobics, swimming and other things. Now those are important but it does not matter to some people whether there is a swimming pool available. You might not be concerned with the number of aerobics classes held each day.
All you want to do is weight train. So choosing a gym that has a wide variety of exercise equipment is idea for you. Now if you are still not sure, you need to look for a location that has a variety of programs and exercise equipment. Maybe once you get started you can decide on your specific needs.
There are many fitness centers out there, too many to review individually. But keep in mind that they are not all alike. If you want to join, make sure to find a club that suits you. Do your homework and comparison shopit will definitely be to your advantage. Heres what to look for:
* Make sure its convenient to work and/or home. If its not, you wont go.
* Request a free or guest pass to try out the facility.
* Ask about the qualifications of the staff. Unless you already know what youre doing, you want to work with professionals.
* Visit your choices during the times you would most likely go to exercise and check for crowding conditions.
* Check out the cleanliness of the exercise areas as well as the locker rooms and bathrooms. Make sure exercise equipment appears to be in good condition.
* Ask for operating hours and class schedules to make sure they fit your needs.
* See if child care is available on site.
* Talk to other members and see how they like it.
Joining a fitness center can be a major expense, so use these tips to avoid any financial surprises and get the most for your dollar.
* Before you shop, determine how much youre willing to spend. Dont go above this amount. Working out should not break the bank.
* Find out exactly what is included in the monthly fee and what is considered extra. Be sure to get a price list of services.
* Skip low-cost trial memberships. You will most certainly be pressured later on to continue at a higher fee. Dont join until youre ready to make the commitment and only pay what youre willing to pay.
* See if you are eligible for discounts through your employer or health insurance company.
* Completely understand all refund and cancellation policies before signing a contract.
* Review the contract at home, without the pressure of a salesperson. Ask questions and make sure you understand what youre signing.
The Benefits of Joining
Fitness clubs allow you access to equipment that you could not afford to purchase or have no room for at home. Many also offer a variety of classes led by trained professionals, therefore increasing the variety of exercise options available. You also have access to fitness professionals who can provide guidance and help you develop a personalized weight training program.
For those who HATE to waste money, joining a fitness center can be a good motivator, feeling compelled to go so they get their moneys worth (this is true only for those who really go out of their way to get value from their money, no matter what theyre spending it on). Those who would just be constantly interrupted trying to work out at home may find getting out of the house to exercise the only way to go.
Alternatives to Fitness Centers
Remember, the large fitness center chains are not the only way to go. Some employers as well as local hospitals or wellness centers have fitness facilities.
Also, make sure this is the best value for you. A few hundred dollars investment in work out equipment you can use at home will still give you excellent fitness results. Or you could join a fitness class through your local YMCA or community center, where membership is not required.
Conray Knox is the owner and webmaster of Weight Training Info Discover how to eat and training for maximum weight loss and muscle gain.
Online Fitness Coaching
Choosing Fitness Equipment
8 Ways to Fall In Love with Fitness